Thursday, March 23, 2006

Romance

So, today I had a sweet date with Jesus. I have to be honest and confess that there've been times when I heard about people going out on a "date with Jesus," and I didn't quite get it. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my morning time with the Lord; whether it be reading His word, journaling to Him or talking to Him driving...whatever. I totally think it's important to spend time with the Lord. It's just that I've always had trouble seeing that Christ and His bride thing. I can't wrap my mind around the fact that in addition to God being my Heavenly Father, Christ desires the intimacy between us that mirrors a marriage. That screams one word to me....romance, and it's so hard for me to recognize it in my daily walk with Him. Last night, as I was reading I realized my unbelief of this reality. So, by setting aside a "date with Jesus" of my own today, I wanted to see if God would romance me. And finally I saw the reason why I couldn't see God romancing me....the reason was ME! I started off my date having highly ambitious ideas of what all we would do, then the phone wrang. As I picked it up and began chatting, I quickly realized how I wouldn't have done that if I was in the middle of a romantic date with Reece. That was my wake-up call. I'm not going to experience the romance and pursuit of Jesus when I refuse to guard our time together as sacred. Here is a passage from Every Woman's Battle that really hit home with me and how I've been treating the Lord:

A radiant bride greeted her guests with a brilliant smile as she entered the reception hall after the wedding ceremony. She gracefully moved and milled about the room, the train of her stunning white gown flowing along the floor behind her, her veil cascading down her button-adorned back

She conversed with each guest one by one, taking the time to mingle and soak up the compliments. "You look lovely." "Your dress is divine." "I've never seen a more beautiful bride." "What a stunning ceremony." The lavish praises rang on and on. The bride couldn't be more proud or more appreciative of the crowd's adoration. She could have listened to them swoon over her all evening. As a matter of fact, she did.

But where was the groom? All the attention focused on the bride and never once did she call anyone's attention to her husband. She didn't notice his absense at her side. Scanning the room, I searched for him, wondering, "Where could he be?"

I finally found him, but not where I expected him to be. The groom stood along over in the corner of the room with his head down. As he stared at his ring, twisting the gold band that had just been placed on his finger by his bride, tears trickled down his cheeks and onto his hands. That is when I noticed the nail scars. The groom was Jesus.

He waited, but the bride never once turned her face toward her groom. She never held His hand.

When I read this, it really put me in my place. To do this when I get married would be rediculous, so why do I do it to Jesus now? No wonder I don't feel romanced...I'm not even holding the Lord's hand. I'm spending time with Him half-heartedly. God does not want my half-hearted affections, but my undeniable and passionate adoration. So i'm excited to understand finally what it means to be romanced by the Lord. It is a mutual pursuit of intimacy. Since God is constant, it was obviously me who needed to change. If I can turn my heart to Him, He will romance and pursue me like no man on earth ever can.

I will betroth you to me forever,
I will betroth you in righteousness and justice,
in love and compassion.
I will betroth you in faithfulness,
and you will acknowledge the Lord.
-
Hosea 2:19-20

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home