Friday, November 18, 2005

"by his wounds you have been healed."

Today as I was reading through 1Peter, I was once again in awe of the reality of the cross. I think that most of the time, I tend to become numb to the gospel--it's sad and disappointing that I take such a sacrifice for granted. The following helped me realize the awesome nature of Jesus' sacrifice for me on the cross:

' He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth.' When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly. He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed. (23-24)

I seriously read this today, and reacted as though I had never heard this before! It was so exciting that God had softened my heart and I was again so appreciative of the salvation through this act on the cross. And amidst such persecution and intense hatred, Jesus continued to live on his Father's plan for the world. Instead of righting His name when they insulted Him, He sought the power for patience from the Father--trusting that in time all would be judged for their actions. When they beat Him, He did not fight back but instead in perfect submission bore the sinful actions of His accusers on Himself. Instead of wishing malice on them, he allowed a way for them to be cleansed of their wrongs through the shedding of His blood. And as He suffered He made no threats, because He knew His Father's will was to be done. It was through this attitude of self-sacrifice and holiness that Jesus died for each of us on the cross. What a motivation to want to serve Him with that same attitude in my life everyday.

As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: 'Be holy, because I am holy.' -1 Peter 1:14-16

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home