Monday, November 21, 2005

our merciful and faithful high priest

Who ever said the Christian life was easy, must have never lived the Christian life. It seems like I'm constantly realizing how unable I am to do anything good on my own. It sounds like your normal sob story doesn't it? It might even be deemed depressing that I've realized I can't even live up to the standards I set for myself, let alone the perfect standards of Almighty God. It sure would be sad...If I didn't have Jesus to make up for all that I lack. Lately I've been denying how powerful Jesus can be in my life. Although I have accepted that my sins can only be washed away by Him, I haven't been recognizing His ability to relate to the everyday problems that I face. When I fail to bring these problems to Him, so that I can recieve the power He provides, I experience failure. I become increasingly aware of my inability to do anything right...because on my own I can't. But with Jesus, it's possible. While reading through Hebrews I was reminded of Christ's victory over sin and the fact that He lived a perfect life. PERFECT. I cannot even fathom that word, being the imperfect person that I am.

For this reason he had to be made like his brothers in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people. Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted. - Heb. 2:17-18

Not only do I have my sins forgiven through Jesus, but I also have the power to overcome temptations that are thrown my way. The One who lives in me is more powerful than the world I am in. When I suffer, He can relate because He has suffered in that same way; yet He suffered without sinning. How humbling and yet freeing to know that although I can do nothing good on my own, Christ does all good things and wants to help me live rightly for Him. Nope, the Christian life is not easy...but it's so worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home